Toronto City Mission has existed since 1879 to demonstrate God’s love and bring hope to families impacted by poverty. Our purpose is to build strong relationships with our community members and partners to create positive, lasting change through preventative and transformational programs.
Families, impacted by poverty, will lead transformed lives.
As a Christ-Centered organization we value:
1) Compassion – We seek to stand with those who are suffering from the effects of poverty.
2) Relationships – We value personal relationships with all our participants, partners & personnel.
3) Dignity – We value the unique purpose and worth of every individual and seek to help them use their God-given abilities to give back to their communities.
4) Integrity – We seek to be open and honest in all of our thoughts, words & actions
Transforming lives by building RELATIONSHIPS
Our desire is that every child, youth and adult in our programs will come into a saving RELATIONSHIP with Jesus Christ. We also believe in:
- Presence: TCM Community Workers seek to build RELATIONSHIPS with community members and be a positive presence the in the community.
- Partnerships: Toronto City Mission relies heavily on the RELATIONSHIPS with our partners in order to multiply the effectiveness and breadth of our impact on communities.
Transforming lives by building LEADERS
Toronto City Mission is dedicated to building LEADERS in our city.
- Volunteers and Interns: Every staff member invests in our volunteers and interns and in return these LEADERS give back to their city and are role models to the community members we serve.
- Community Leaders: We intentionally mentor and equip children, youth, and adults to become LEADERS in their own communities.
Transforming lives by building PREVENTATIVE PROGRAMS
We help children, youth, and adults rise above poverty by providing PREVENTATIVE PROGRAMS. Our PROGRAMS are designed to equip them to make wise choices about school, friends, relationships, work, and the future.
(The Mission Statement, Vision Statement and Core Values were updated in the spring 2012)
Our new logo depicts a person as the stump of a tree, growing and transforming with the help of TCM’s preventative programs. This is similar in analogy to the transformation of a tiny seed into a tree that birds find shelter in (Matthew 13:31-32). Green represents new beginnings and growth and blue is a heavenly colour. The “T” in TCM symbolizes the centrality of Christ to everything we do.
Toronto City Mission is Toronto’s oldest and longest running outreach to people living in poverty.
November 14, 1879 – Toronto City Mission was established by ministers and laymen who recognized the need to reach the neglected and needy parts of the city.
1907 – a home in Bronte, (now part of Oakville) was bought and used for 70 years as a camp for families and children from Toronto to get away together for recreation and spiritual refreshment and growth.
1999 – the Board of Directors and the leadership of Toronto City Mission identified a void in the work of poverty relief and transformation in the City of Toronto. The decision was made to refocus on developing and transforming children, families and communities rather than providing relief assistance.
2012 – TCM adopted a new brand identity designed to capture the organization’s mission to transform families impacted by poverty.
Jesus’ command to ‘love our neighbours as ourselves’ is intended to benefit both parties. One party feels cared for and loved while the other feels the impact of sharing that love. Generosity is theraputic, it’s contageous, it’s relationship building. Most of all, when expressed as a gift of love, it is closest to discovering the nature of God.
FLEMINGDON PARK-VICTORIA VILLAGE
East Toronto Chinese Baptist Church
Emmanuel Church of the Nazarene
Jane-Finch Church Coalition
St.Stephen’s Presbyterian Church
Bridletowne Park Church
Chinese Gospel Church Scarborough
ST. JAMES TOWN
Faith Community Church
Grace Toronto Church
Monsignor Fraser College
St. Paul’s on Bloor
St. Simon-the-Apostle Anglican Church
Yong Nak Korean Presbyterian Church of Toronto
Wellspring Worship Centre
The People’s Church Toronto
Willowdale Baptist Church
We are a highly dedicated and motivated staff team. We love God and have a passion for reaching our city with God’s love.
Toronto City Mission works in 6 different communities in the City of Toronto: Flemingdon Park-Victoria Village, Jane-Finch, Kingston-Galloway, St. James Town, Steeles-L’Amoreaux, and Willowtree.
At Toronto City Mission, there are many ways to get involved, from becoming a Community Partner to volunteering at our various programs. Join us as we seek to Transform Families Impacted By Poverty!